Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Why I'm a Republican (and you should be too)

I have recently had a political awakening.

Sure, I grew up Republican and supported Reagan and Bush (the Elder) in the first election. But, thanks to Perot in ’92, Bush had to run harder to the right and thus alienated the more socially liberal -- me and others like me.

Nevertheless, in 2000 I voted for Bush (the Slayer, or the Just, or the Righteous, whichever you prefer) for two reasons. 1) Having faced various "demons" in my own life, I could see the honesty of his faith in his eyes. I think many people saw the same honesty, which stood in stark contrast to the shape-shifting Al Gore. 2) Al Gore was the second reason I voted for Bush, he was (and is) whoever his handlers thought he should be at any particular moment. I truly think he is a sick and pitiable individual. And, but for the grace of God, he would have been our president on 9-11. That is a sobering thought.

We all saw the true mettle of George Bush in the days and weeks after 9-11. It’s as if he grew ten times his size as he led us through our grief towards the battlements from which he has relentlessly prosecuted a war against pure evil: Islamofascism or the last gasps of an extremist philosophy.

Then, after 9-11 something else happened. As I was going by Ground Zero last Christmas (2003), I saw the ultra-left beginning to demonstrate, unfurling banners suggesting that Bush actually was to blame for 9-11, that he had been forewarned but did nothing, that Condi Rice was complicit. Ridiculous, I thought, shameless lies. I was angry, but they’re wackos, I thought, harmless, extreme lefties, the "greens."

That was until April, when Howard Dean said something like: I think it’s a fascinating idea (that George Bush knew something about 9-11 in advance). It was at that point that I realized that the current Democratic party might be nothing more than a front for these extreme leftists. They are in league with the hate-America crowd in the UN, in Brussels, in Havana and in the mountains of Pakistan. It was as if the scales fell from my eyes. (And, I’m not alone in this belief, read David Horowitz’ Frontpagemag.com.)

The whispered lie had gotten a full airing to the point where George Bush had to affirmatively deny it (the lowest point in the modern history of our Republic), saying he would have moved "Heaven and Earth" to keep 9-11 from happening. That was followed by Michael Moore’s movie, the 9-11 commission and regular hit pieces on 60 Minutes throughout the spring.

The campaign of misinformation, orchestrated by the extreme left, with the approval of the Democrats and the active assistance of the mainstream media served as the foundation of the Democrats campaign. I thought the Democrats were just tacitly accepting the help until, there he was Michael Moore sitting with Jimmy Carter and the game was up.

It was during this campaign that I vowed I would not stand idly by and allow this corruption of our beloved country stand. It is how I have come to this moment where I am stepping up and to fight for the liberties we take for granted.

to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment